Skip to main content

Independent Advice and Support

Independent Advice and Support

You can get advice, information and someone to speak for you if you’re having difficulties with getting your child the help and care that they need. 

The SEND Partnership Service gives parents, carers and young people (over the age of 16) impartial guidance on the new system.

If things don't go as you would like them to, you can use our Mediation and Disagreement Resolution provider, KIDS to help resolve your problem.

Independent Support

The Independent Support Service provides free advice and support for parents of
children or young people with special educational needs and disability, through the
statutory assessment education, health and care (EHC) plan processes.

Further information is available from the Scope website. or you can access the
service by contacting:

Maxine McCulloch
PO Box 1167
Telephone: 07966 004704

SEND Partnership Service

Peterborough SEND Partnership Service provides impartial information, advice
and support to parents, children and young people on Special Educational Needs
and Disabilities.   Services provided include:

  • Impartial advice and information about Special Educational Needs
  • Information, advice on and provision of Independent Supporters
  • Help for parents, children and young people to navigate through the Special Educational Needs process
  • Help for parents about their rights to make sure the educational needs of their child are met
  • Help for parents to work with schools, education, children’s services, health and other professionals
  • Information for parents about other support services and organisations
  • Help for parents to resolve disagreements

Contact: 01733 863979 or email

The SEND Partnership Service produces a range of helpful leaflets and guidance.  You can view the leaflets in the column on the left

Confidentiality and impartiality

The service offered by the SEND Partnership Service is impartial.  All parties involved in discussions will be treated equally and given access to factual information to inform the decision making process.  You can find our Impartiality Policy below.

All information provided by parents/carers to the Send Partnership Service is treated confidentially.  You can find our Confidentiality and Data Protection Policies to the left.

Support for parents and/or carers

Parents and carers of children and young people with special educational needs
and disabilities sometimes need additional support and advice.

This might be for themselves, or to help them to get the best support they can for
their children and young people.

You can out more about support for carers on our carers pages.  There are also a
number of dedicated support groups and agencies that carers can go to for help,
support and guidance.

The Department for Education and Mencap have also produced guidance relating to the new Education, Health and Care Planning process to assist you.

Support for military families

Parents serving in HM Armed Forces can also access the Children's Education Advisory Service, an information, advice and support service established specifically for Service
parents. It covers any issue relating to their children’s education, including special educational needs. 

Complaints and Mediation

Wherever possible, Peterborough City Council and its health partners will try and resolve
issues or areas of disagreement by meeting and talking with those involved in
supporting children and young people with special educational needs and/or

This includes not only parents and carers, but also children and young people themselves. However, we accept that sometimes it isn’t possible to reach a resolution without the help of a third party. This section provides information on seeking formal dispute resolution, including the use of mediation.

SEND Resources and Training

The SEND Resources and Training page hosts a collection of resources, newsletters and
training opportunities. 

Listen or