We can provide initial information about childcare careers and may be able to put you in touch with local teams who will be able to provide additional guidance, training and support.
General information about working in childcare
If you would like to read more about working in childcare in general, the Childcare Workforce Development Council will provide you with national information.
The Daycare Trust also provides good background information on childcare careers.
Current Job Vacancies
We publicise childcare job vacancies in Peterborough, please click the "Related Link" on the right hand side.
Working in pre-school education
Information for people thinking of working in a pre-school is available from the Pre-School Learning Alliance.
Becoming a Childminder
Peterborough City Council offers an Introductory Course for those wishing to become a registered child-minder. This introductory training provides childminders with the knowledge and skills they will require to begin their career as a childminder. It will help them understand and implement the legal requirements of the Early Years Foundation Stage (EYFS which is the mandatory framework for all early years providers).
An initial Briefing Session sets out the legal requirements to childminding, the Ofsted Registration Process, course content, and the expectation.
Those wishing to continue will then register to attend the 10 week course which provides an understanding of all aspects of the EYFS, Observation and Assessment Skills, Child Protection, Behaviour Management and 12 hour Paediatric First Aid.
Following completion of the course childminders will receive a PACEY (Professional Association of Childcare & Early Years) Quality Start Membership which includes Public Liability Insurance, a set of PACEY business paperwork for childminders, plus a Fire Blanket.
Newly registered childminders will receive a visit 5 months after their registration prior to their first inspection.
Courses will be offered three times per year commencing;
April 2015, Sept 2015 and Jan 2016....Cost £350
Childminders may be eligible to claim a grant to cover these costs through the Childcare New Business Grant;
The Childcare New Business Grants Scheme has been introduced to boost the provision of childcare in England and to incentivise entrepreneurship. It will encourage and support the starting up of new childcare businesses by providing a flat rate start-up grant of:
• £500 for new childminding businesses setting up in England those who are looking after one or more children to whom they are not related, on domestic premises, for reward and for a total of more than 2 hours in any day; (details correct as at the time of printing)
• £1000 for new childminding businesses, as above, that will provide care for disabled children; applicants will need to demonstrate that they have incurred additional expenditure in setting up their business as a result of this (details correct as at the time of printing)
For more information please contact the Early Years & Quality Improvement Team 01733 863953
Information for people thinking of becoming a childminder is also available at the National Childminders Association's website.
Opening Daycare settings in Peterborough
For people thinking of opening or working in Day Care general information is available from the National Day Nursery Association.
For information on local support contact us for further information.
- Flexible Worker Staff for The Pre-School Learning Alliance Ongoing applications
- Barnack Home from Home Out of School Club, Barnack Primary School Hourly Rate: £7.20. Ongoing.
- West Town Pre-school, Pre-school Apprentice Early Years Practitioner. Full Time 35 hours per week – Term Time Only, 8.30 am -4.00pm. Closing date for applications until position filled
- Belsize Day Nursery. Bank staff needed to cover staff holidays, sickness and hours needed. Ongoing vacancy.
- Toddlers Inn Day Nursery Eye, full time level 3 qualified Team Leader to work in our baby room. Salary negotiable and dependant on experience and qualification. Closing date for applications until position filled
- Belsize Nursery, Bank staff to cover holidays and sicken, Hours can be from 9 till 4 Monday to Friday all year round. Looking for some flexible for the hours and cover. On-going vacancy
- Little Stars Day Nursery, Level 3 or above qualified practitioners & Pre-school Manager, 37.5 hours per week term time, ongoing.
- Deputy manager for Belsize day nursery starting from 6th June 2016, Hours are 8.45 till 4.15 Monday to Friday, Closing date: 27th May 2016
- Little Poppets Day Nursery, Level 3 Nursery Nurse required 52 weeks a year position. Holiday pro-rata 19.5 hours per week, 3 afternoons and all day Friday. Closing date: End May 2016
- Helpston Playhouse & Under Fives, John Clare Primary School, Pre-School Assistant – Permanent position. Closing date for applications; There is no specific closing date, we are looking for the right candidate to fulfil this role.
- Belsize day nursery, to work alongside the manager supporting her to run and develop the nursery. Hours are 8.45AM till 4.15PM Monday to Friday Closing date: 27th May 2016
- Bank staff to cover holidays and sicken. Hours can be from 9 till 4 Monday to Friday all year round, ongoing
- Braybrook Nursery, Nursery Assistant Required. 37hours per week, Closing date: 6th June 2016. Previous applicants need not apply
- Smart Start Day Nursery, Adderley, North Bretton. Nursery Practitioner-15 hours per week (Term Time). Closing Date for applications is Friday 1st July 2016.
- Woodston Nursery, Nursery practitioner (maternity cover). The post will be term time only, Monday to Friday 8am - 4pm. Closing date 30th June 2016
- Woodston Nursery, Nursery practitioner. The post will be term time only, Monday to Friday 8am - 4pm. Closing date 30th June 2016
- Nursery cleaner. The post will be term time only, Monday to Friday 3.30pm - 5.30pm. Closing date 30th June 2016