We can provide initial information about childcare careers and may be able to put you in touch with local teams who will be able to provide additional guidance, training and support.
General information about working in childcare
If you would like to read more about working in childcare in general, the Childcare Workforce Development Council will provide you with national information.
The Daycare Trust also provides good background information on childcare careers.
Current Job Vacancies
We publicise childcare job vacancies in Peterborough, please click the "Related Link" on the right hand side.
Working in pre-school education
Information for people thinking of working in a pre-school is available from the Pre-School Learning Alliance.
Becoming a Childminder
Peterborough City Council offers an Introductory Course for those wishing to become a registered child-minder. This introductory training provides childminders with the knowledge and skills they will require to begin their career as a childminder. It will help them understand and implement the legal requirements of the Early Years Foundation Stage (EYFS which is the mandatory framework for all early years providers).
An initial Briefing Session sets out the legal requirements to childminding, the Ofsted Registration Process, course content, and the expectation.
Those wishing to continue will then register to attend the 10 week course which provides an understanding of all aspects of the EYFS, Observation and Assessment Skills, Child Protection, Behaviour Management and 12 hour Paediatric First Aid.
Following completion of the course childminders will receive a PACEY (Professional Association of Childcare & Early Years) Quality Start Membership which includes Public Liability Insurance, a set of PACEY business paperwork for childminders, plus a Fire Blanket.
Newly registered childminders will receive a visit 5 months after their registration prior to their first inspection.
Courses will be offered three times per year commencing;
April 2015, Sept 2015 and Jan 2016....Cost £350
Childminders may be eligible to claim a grant to cover these costs through the Childcare New Business Grant;
The Childcare New Business Grants Scheme has been introduced to boost the provision of childcare in England and to incentivise entrepreneurship. It will encourage and support the starting up of new childcare businesses by providing a flat rate start-up grant of:
• £500 for new childminding businesses setting up in England those who are looking after one or more children to whom they are not related, on domestic premises, for reward and for a total of more than 2 hours in any day; (details correct as at the time of printing)
• £1000 for new childminding businesses, as above, that will provide care for disabled children; applicants will need to demonstrate that they have incurred additional expenditure in setting up their business as a result of this (details correct as at the time of printing)
For more information please contact the Early Years & Quality Improvement Team 01733 863953
Information for people thinking of becoming a childminder is also available at the National Childminders Association's website.
Opening Daycare settings in Peterborough
For people thinking of opening or working in Day Care general information is available from the National Day Nursery Association.
For information on local support contact us for further information.
- Flexible Workers - Cambridgeshire and Peterborough Pre-school Learning Alliance Ongoing application period
- Part time Nursery Nurse/Full time nursery nurse - Acorn Academy Day Nursery Closing Date 20th August
- F/T Nursery Manager/EYFS Coordinator - Toddlers Inn Day Nursery Closing Date 30th July 2015
- F/T Level 3 Nursery Nurse - Toddlers Inn Day Nursery Closing Date 30th July 2015
- Level 3 Nursery Practitioner Little Owls Day Nursery Closing Date 31st July 2015
- F/T Level 3 Nursery Practitioner Teddy Bears Inn Day Nursery Closing Date 1st August 2015
- Level 3 Nursery Nurse Nene Valley Day Nursery Closing Date 7th August 2015
- Deputy Manager Eyrescroft Pre-School Closing Date Noon 7th August 2015
- 2xlevel 2 or 3 Childcare Practitioners Little Owls Day Nursery Closing Date 8th August 2015
- Level 3 Practioner Daisy Chain Day Nursery Closing Date 31st July 2015
- Level 3 Nursery Practitioner Little Tigers Day Nursery Closing Date 18th August 2015