Skip to main content

Health (Adults)

Hospital volunteer talking to patient


Accessing health services and finding your way around the system can feel complicated. This page includes information and advice to help you get the help you need.  

Healthy Peterborough

Healthy Peterborough logo

You can find lots of useful information about healthy living on the Healthy Peterborough website.

Mental Health

Man on bench with his head in his hands

Mental health difficulties are very common, one in four of us will have problems with our mental wellbeing at some time in our lives. More information can be found on the Mental Health page.



Elderly man

If you are concerned that a family member has dementia, the first step is to arrange for them to see a GP.  There is a wide range of support available in Peterborough for people with dementia, including advocacy, dementia advisers, dementia cafés, activities, information and peer support.  More information can be found on the Dementia page.


Hospital stays and hospital discharge

Lady with carer

If you are recovering from an illness or a stay in hospital you may need some help when you get home.  This could be received from the Reablement Service.  This could be practical help like getting in and out of bed, washing, dressing and making a meal, or helping you to get back on your feet again.

The hospital might arrange for you to have ‘intermediate care’, which is a health funded service and is to provide you with some short term support. 

The Transfer of Care team, based in the hospital, would complete your assessment and referral for Reablement and any Technology Enabled Care that would support your discharge.

You may receive health funded intermediate care.

You can find our more about hospital discharge on the Your care after discharge from hospital page.

You can find out more on the Reablement page and the Assistive Technology pages.

NHS Continuing Healthcare

Two nurses in hospital

As part of your social care assessment, it may be identified that you may also need help and support with your health needs for which we can arrange a healthcare assessment. The healthcare assessment will find out if you are entitled to free NHS continuing healthcare.

If you remain living at home, the NHS will pay for healthcare services from a community nurse or specialist therapist and personal care, such as help with bathing and dressing.

If you move into a nursing home, the NHS will pay for all your care home fees, including board and accommodation if this is considered to be part of your overall care need.Iff you do not qualify for NHS continuing healthcare then you may have to pay for some or all of your care, although the NHS will still provide for your medical needs.         


Sensory Impairment

Visually impaired lady typing

The term sensory impairment includes visual impairment, hearing impairment and dual sensory loss.

The council's Sensory Support Team is dedicated to supporting adults who have a sensory impairment whether it be their hearing, their vision, or both.  A medical diagnosis is not needed to access support, information and advice.  

You can find out more information on our Sensory Impairment page.

You can also watch a BSL video on what happens when your doctor asks you to see a specialist.

Health tips for people with a Learning Disability

Learning Disability Health Check form

If you have a learning disability you can ask your doctor for a free Annual Health Check.

You can find lots of useful information on the Easy Health website and on NHS England.

Information on looking after your eyes can be found on the SEEAbility website.

Easy Read information on happens when your doctor asks you to see a specialist can be found on the NHS England website

Listen or

How easy did you find this website to use?
Did you find the information you were looking for?