Skip to main content

Equipment, Adaptations and Occupational Therapy (Adults)

Rollator Walking Frame

Equipment, Adaptations and Occupational Therapy

Most people want to stay in their own home and maintain their independence for as long as possible.

There are practical steps you can take to help you remain in control and a lot of different equipment and daily living aids that you can purchase yourself without needing to have an assessment.  There are helpful hints and suggestions on this page.

You can find lots of information on daily living aids on our Technology Enabled Care pages.  You can also look at equipment on our Equipment Catalogue.

Occupational Therapy

Man with walking stick with Occupational Therapist

Occupational Therapists

Occupational Therapists assess the needs of people with disabilities and provide services to promote their independence, and enable them (and their carers) to improve their ability to manage their daily lives.

An Occupational Therapist is a health and social care professional whose role is to help individuals with poor health, disability and impairment to continue to carry out the activities of daily living.

You might see an Occupational Therapist in your own home or in the hospital.

Occupational Therapy in your own home

Occupational Therapists complete an assessment in your home environment and provide expert advice on equipment and adaptations which may help you retain your independence and help you stay at home.

They can help you to accommodate your impairment or condition by supporting you to learn or relearn the skills necessary for daily living. This may involve setting goals around your difficulties and working towards these to increase confidence, safety and independence. In some cases, Occupational Therapy staff may need to give advice suggesting alternative practical ways of doing things

Mobilty Assessment

If you require a mobility assessment for a walking aid, are experiencing falls at home or require assessment for a wheelchair you should speak with your GP for a referral to the community physiotherapy team, falls team or wheelchair services.  

Minor Adaptations and Equipment

Perching stool

Minor adaptations and equipment

You can find aids and equipment to support you in remaining independent, including:

  • Daily living aids that make everyday tasks, personal care and household chores easier to manage
  • Tools and implements to make things easier to reach and hold
  • Equipment to help you maintain your hobbies
  • Gadgets to help with controlling your TV, using the telephone, listening to the radio, using your computer, hearing the doorbell and much more
  • Items that help with mobility, shopping and driving
  • Products for your home and garden

Moving around

If you have problems moving around your home, managing personal care or completing food preparation, there is a range of specially designed equipment and adaptations to make your life at home easier and safer, including: 

  • An additional stair rail to help you get up and down the stairs safely

  • A grab rail to hold onto when getting in and out of your home

  • Chair raisers for getting up and down your chair safely and independently

  • A simple bedroom grab rail may be all you need to help sit up in bed

  • Ramped access to property

Mobility Assessment

If you require a mobility assessment for a walking aid, are experiencing falls at home or require assessment for a wheelchair you should speak with your GP for a referral to the community physiotherapy team, falls team or wheelchair services.  

Personal care

Aids include:

  • A perching stool to avoid standing for long periods of time at the wash hand basin

  • Bathing equipment to aid getting in and out of the bath

  • If you have difficulties managing the taps, alternative lever taps may be helpful

  • Toilet equipment such as raised toilet seats, rails and frames may assist with getting on and off the toilet.

Food preparation

Aids include:

  • If you find standing to prepare food tiring, provision of a perching stool helps.

  • A kitchen trolley can be useful in transporting food and drinks to the table

If you choose to order equipment yourself, you will be responsible for the costs of what you have purchased. However, if following our assessment we agree that you need equipment to make your day to day living easier, then we will pay the cost of the loan of that equipment.  You can look at a range of equipment on our Equipment Catalogue.

Major Adaptations


Major adaptations

In some cases, an occupational therapist may to need to advise on major adaptations to make your home more suitable so that you can continue to live there or maintain your independence.

The council’s housing Care and Repair team can be contacted regarding Disabled Facilities Grants or alterations. All grants are means-tested and you will also have to had your needs identified by occupational therapy.

Some examples of major adaptations include:

  • Larger ramps

  • Widening of doorways for wheelchair accessibility

  • Installation of a stairlift

  • Creating level access shower facilities

  • Lowering of work surfaces in kitchens

How do I get help?

If you are not managing at home you can contact Peterborough City Council’s Adult Early Help Team on 01733 747474.

You will be able to speak with someone trained to give you specialist advice about the difficulties you are experiencing.  

Your referral would be prioritised and you may be put on occupational therapy waiting list for a home visit assessment.

Registering as a person with a physical disability

Wheelchair icon

If you think that you should be registered by the council as physically disabled you can complete the Application for registration as a person with a physical disability form which you can find on this page.

You will need to ask your GP to complete part six of the form.

You can then send the form to us and an Occupational Therapist will contact you by letter.

VAT relief for disabled people

If you are disabled or have a long-term illness, you will not be charged VAT on products designed or adapted for your own personal or domestic use. Also, you will not be charged VAT on:

  • the installation and any extra work needed as part of this
  • repairs or maintenance
  • spare parts or accessories

You can find out more on the disabled people section of the website