Please note that during the current COVID-19 pandemic, services may not be run as detailed.
What are day services for older people?
The Peterborough City Council’s day service offers a safe and friendly environment for older people who might be finding it difficult to get out and about, and need a bit of help and support.
Coming to the day service can help people to stay independent, keep well, and remain living in their own homes for as long as possible - offering a chance to enjoy some friendship while being well cared for. Attending the day service can also provide a much needed break for carers who live at home, and help to reduce and prevent falls.
The Peterborough day service is based at the Cresset, Bretton Centre. Door to door transport with carers is provided as standard.
The service is provided in safe, relaxed and comfortable surroundings by well trained staff who support people respectfully and sensitively with their personal care needs. The day service is well equipped to help people who find it difficult to get around and need support with their personal care needs, including those who may suffer from dementia or other life-limiting illnesses.
Many different and stimulating activities are available at the day service, each offering something for everyone depending on personal choice and individual abilities. Activities include:
- A chance to meet, chat and make new friends, and reminisce about old times
- A nourishing hot meal at lunch time, with tea, coffee, and soft drinks always available
- Gentle exercise, relaxation techniques, music, singing and occasional tea dances
- Quizzes, numerous craft activities (painting, flower arranging etc.), and a variety of entertainment including local musicians and film afternoons
- Regular fully supported outings and trips out, including local shopping, and further afield for special outings e.g. to the seaside, safari parks and boating trips at nearby lakes