Care and Repair
Care and Repair is a Home Improvement Agency within Peterborough City Council. It assists older, vulnerable and disabled (adults and children) to repair, maintain and adapt their homes. This enables independent living and ensures people's homes are warm and safe. The Care and Repair Team also deliver aids and adaptations that help to prevent falls and accidents in the home.
You can watch 93 year old Doris Neal talking about the help she has received to live independently and safely in her own home in the video on this page. You can find a transcript of the video in the documents on this page.
Disabled Facilities Grants and Repairs Assistance Grants
Adapting a home can be very expensive, A grant can, depending on certain conditions, help to meet all or some of the cost. Care and Repair can help you to access funding from Peterborough City Council’s Capital Grants Programme in accordance with the Housing Renewals Policy 2017- 2019. You can see a copy of the policy on this page.
This includes assisting you to access grants for disabled facility adaptations to your home. Funding can be requested for stair lifts, level access showers, ramps and in some instances small extensions.
Grants are available to tackle serious disrepair in private properties, also for the installation of boilers and central heating. In certain situations grants also exist to relocate people with disabilities, to support hospital discharge or for deep cleaning and declutteringor properties.
Care and Repair also installs minor aids and adaptations following Occupational Therapy referrals. This includes grab rails and half steps.
Where grant funding is not available Care and Repair caseworkers can assist you to raise alternative funding. This can include:
- accessing charitable funding, benevolent fund etc
- maximising your state benefit entitlement by identifying shortfalls and assisting with a new claim
- Referring you to other services eg the Red Cross for immediate help with certain household chores or PCVS for befriending
Care and Repair also supplies a privately funded service for disabled adaptations where people would not qualify for grant funding.
Care and Repair caseworkers
Care and Repair caseworkers will be your main point of contact. Work that they can do includes:
- fitting items of equipment including assisted technology
- helping people to obtain funding via Local Authority grants
- establishing eligibility and means testing where applicable
Care and Repair surveyors
Care and Repair surveyors work with vetted building contractors and equipment suppliers. The surveyors carry out the following roles:
- visit your home to assess the suitability of adapting your property to meet your needs
- survey your home in respect of all repairs and adaptations
- provide schedules and specifications of work required on your home
- manage contracts on your behalf including overseeing the contractors
- project manage work from conception to completion
- visit to ensure work is completed and that you are happy with the work and the contractors are paid
Peterborough City Council Handy Person Scheme
The Handy Person scheme offers assistance to households solely occupied by vulnerable, older and/or disabled residents. This service is to maintain, repair and to assist people to continue to live independently in their home and is mainly for small non-urgent repairs.
The Handy Person scheme uses a vetted list of contractors to undertake the work.
You can find out more on the Handy Person Specification.