Skip to main content

Welfare Benefits (Adults)

Lady on computer

Each year, more than £3.5 billion of pension credit and housing benefit goes unclaimed by older people in the UK. Are you eligible?

Find a benefits calculator to check whether you are eligible

This page includes information on a nunber of welfare benefits.

Information on COVID-19 support can be found on the Adults Information Service COVID-19 page.  Local support groups can be found by searching on 'COVID-19'.

Attendance Allowance

Attendance Allowance is a payment available to people aged over 65 who, due to an illness or disability, would benefit from help with washing, dressing or eating, during the day or overnight.

There is lots of useful information about Attendance Allowance on the Which? page.

You can also find out more on the website.

Carers Allowance

Paid if you care for another person - who receives certain benefits - for more than 35 hours a week.

Find out more on

Personal Independence Payment (PIP)

Can help you with some of the extra costs if you have a long term ill-health or disability.

Find out more on

Disability Peterborough also have comprehensive help and guidance on their website.  You can find out more by clicking here to go to their website

Universal Credit

What is Universal Credit?

Universal Credit supports you if you are on a low income or out of work. It includes a monthly payment to help with your living costs.

It replaces the following benefits:

  • Child Tax Credit
  • Housing Benefit
  • Income Support
  • income-based Jobseeker's Allowance (JSA)
  • income-related Employment and Support Allowance (ESA)
  • Working Tax Credit

This website produced by The Department for Work and Pensions is really useful if you are:

Universal Credit for sick and disabled people

The Money Advice Service produce useful information on their website explaining about Universal Credit for sick and disabled people.

A Guide to Universal Credit and You

For more information on claiming Universal Credit, your commitments, sanctions and working while claiming download this useful guide.

Contact also have some useful information about Universal Credit.

What is not included in Universal Credit?

The following benefits currently remain outside of Universal Credit and will not be affected by the changes:

  • council tax support
  • carer's allowance
  • contribution-based jobseeker's allowance and employment and support allowance
  • disability living allowance / personal independence payment (PIP)
  • child benefit
  • social fund
  • statutory sick pay
  • statutory maternity pay
  • maternity allowance
  • industrial injuries disablement allowance
  • bereavement benefits

Find out more on

Disability Living Allowance

Currently being phased out and replaced by Personal Independence Payments (PIP).

You can find out more on

Housing Benefit and Council Tax Support

Housing Benefit/Universal Credit and Council Tax Support can help you to pay some or all of your rent and council tax costs if you are on a low income.

You can find out more on the Housing Benefit and Council Tax Support page.

Pension Credit

Pension Credit tops up your income if it is below a certain level.

You can find out more on

Peterborough City Council specialist welfare benefits adviser

Peterborough City Council Logo

Peterborough City Council has a specialist welfare benefits advisor who can undertake casework to help local residents to challenge decisions on social security benefits (mandatory reconsiderations and appeals).  To see if you might be eligible for assistance from the welfare benefits advisor please answer the following questions:

  • Do you live in Peterborough or one of the surrounding villages ? (you must be liable to pay your council tax to Peterborough City Council)
  • Do you have an illness which limits your ability to work or a disability which limits your ability to get about or cope with your personal care?
  • Have you been refused Employment and Support Allowance, Universal Credit, Personal Independence Payment or Attendance Allowance within the last month or have you been awarded a rate of benefit lower than you expected

If you have ticked “yes” to all the above questions, please feel free to contact the welfare benefits advisor by emailing to see if help would be available to challenge the decision on your benefit claim.