Skip to main content

Preparing for Adulthood (Local Offer)

Girl with packing boxes

What does preparing for adulthood mean?

For young people with special educational needs or disabilities (SEND), planning for adulthood begins in Year 9 (the school year in which a child has their 14th birthday), and in some cases will continue until their 25th birthday.  We often call this phase in life 'transition' or a 'transition to adulthood'.

View the Parents Guide to Special Educational Needs and Disability Transition to Adulthood document

View the Preparing for adult life - A guide for young people document 

COVID-19 support

Information on COVID-19 support can be found on the following pages:

Local support groups can be found by using the search term 'COVID-19' in the search box at the top of the page.

Preparing for Adulthood - Employment

Working in a shop

It's often hard for a young person to think about what they may want to achieve from their adulthood when they are in their early teens. But early planning is the key to success and so it's really helpful if parents and carers can work with their young people to start thinking about this.

All young people should be helped to develop the skills and experience, and achieve the qualifications they need to succeed.

To find out more, take a look at our 'Preparing for Adulthood - Employment' page

Preparing for Adulthood - Independent Living

Man in wheelchair at the sink

Independent Living means young people have choice, control and freedom over their lives and the support they have, their accommodation and living arrangements.

You can find out more on our page Preparing for Adulthood - Independent Living.

Preparing for Adulthood - Friends, Relationships and Community

Young people sitting on the floor

Friendships, relationships and being a part of the community,  are important to a young person's quality of life. There are many ways to get involved other than being in education or employment.

To find out more take a look at our 'Preparing for Adulthood - Friends Relationships & Community' webpage

Preparing for Adulthood - Good Health

Health professional with patient

Growing up and becoming more independent it is important to be aware of your health needs and how to look after yourself.

There are a range of health services available for young people with special educational needs and disabilities such as: GPs, hospitals, dentists, pharmacists, and opticians. In some cases, you may need to access specialised services which may be different depending on your need.

To find out more, take a look at our  'Preparing for Adulthood -  Good Health' webpage.

Information for parents on transitions

Transition to Adulthood - A Parents Guide

Parents have also asked for a comprehensive guide to transitions and we have worked with Family Voice to produce the Transition to Adulthood - A Parents Guide, which you can find on this page.

We have also published a document 'frequently asked questions' that has been written to help parents prepare and plan for the move to adult services at 18 years.

You can find out more about health transitions on our Preparing for adulthood - good health (Local Offer) webpage 

THE TRANSITION EVENT Online - Throughout May 2021

The hub will go live from Tuesday 4th May, where you'll find useful articles and videos covering all things transition. 

On each Friday of the month the hub will welcome expert speakers on EHCPs, Navigating Transition, Education Options and Housing.

View more details on the Transition Event hub

Peterborough Post-16 Offer

Making decisions for someone who lacks capacity

Deputies: make decisions for someone who lacks capacity

You can apply to become someone’s deputy if they ‘lack mental capacity’. This means they cannot make a decision for themselves at the time it needs to be made. They may still be able to make decisions for themselves at certain times.

People may lack mental capacity because, for example:

  • they’ve had a serious brain injury or illness
  • they have dementia
  • they have severe learning disabilities

As a deputy, you’ll be authorised by the Court of Protection to make decisions on their behalf.

There are two types of deputy.

  • Property and financial affairs deputy - You’ll do things like pay the person’s bills or organise their pension.
  • Personal welfare deputy - You’ll make decisions about medical treatment and how someone is looked after.

Find out more about becoming a deputy at

Become an appointee for someone claiming benefits

You can apply for the right to deal with the benefits of someone who cannot manage their own affairs because they lack the capacity to do so or are severely disabled.

To find out more visit the Department for Work and Pensions Website.

Consultation and co-production with young people

Young people sitting round a table

Preparing for Adulthood - Young Persons Consultation Spring 2021

In response to our consultation with young people and a continuation of that dialogue with them, we have produced an online learning resource.

The Preparing for Adulthood - Young Persons Consultation Spring 2021 learning resource may also be useful to parents and staff who need some training in SEND and PfA. The target age group is 13-25. 

The learning resource has also been replicated in several pages on our Local Offer for Young People website