The Peterborough City Council Sensory and Physical Support Service:
- Provide advice, support and training for schools and education settings on the needs of children and young people who have a clinical diagnosis of hearing or vision impairment or physical disability
- Work with children and young people aged 0-25 at school, in nursery and early years settings and in Further Education college
- Work with families from diagnosis and provide support at key times such as transition to a new school or college
The SAPS team works to ensure children young people and families and the people that work with them:
- Can explain and understand their needs
- Understand how to support that need
- Feel positive and confident
- Know what other support they may access
More details can be found on the Sensory Impairment (Local Offer) web page.
Who to contact
Where to go
- Sand Martin House
- PE2 8TY
Staff will primarily meet service users in the community. SAPS is part of the council's SEN and Inclusion Service (SENI).
- Age Ranges
- Referral required
- Referral Details
Please note: the service is term time only but referrals from the newborn
hearing screening are covered all year round.
Families, children or young people can contact SAPS to discuss support if their child has a clinical diagnosis of hearing, vision or long term physical disability.
The team also works with Family Voice Peterborough and offers consultations at Family Voice, please see the Family Voice Peterborough website for details:
- Other notes
We also work collaboratively with the specialist Hubs, commissioned by the City Council, to provide peer to peer support for education settings across the Peterborough area. These Hubs deliver a variety of support such as training, drop-in / open times, observations of lessons, resource libraries, helpline.
- Local Offer Age Bands
0 to 5 years
5 to 11 years
11 to 19 years
19 to 25 years
- Needs Level
- SEN Provision Type