We have a local office in Peterborough, from which we cover the following counties:
- Cambridgeshire, including Peterborough
As well as offering adults with a visual impairment access to mobility support, which includes guide dog partnerships and orientation and mobility training, in Peterborough we also offer “Habilitation” orientation and mobility support to children and young people with a visual Impairment. This involves our workers supporting your child, in school or out of school, to gain independence on orientation, routes and personal skills., on contract to the Council’s Sensory team: To access support in Peterborough, please contact the Sensory Support team at the Council on 01733 454460 or via email SensorySupportService@peterborough.gov.uk
For general education or family support advice about your visually impaired child, please telephone or email our Guide Dogs national advice line on 0800 781 1444 or email email@example.com
If you'd like to know more about how you can support our work through volunteering or fundraising, please call or email our office using the contact details provided on this page.
Who to contact
Where to go
Guide Dogs, 63
- PE1 1SY
Guide Dogs offers a range of services to children and young people with a vision impairment and their families:
- Our Specialist Family Support Service provides information, advice and guidance, including emotional support from early diagnosis throughout a child’s life, to parents/guardians of children with a vision impairment. The aim is to develop their confidence and knowledge so they can address the specific needs of their child, enabling them to achieve their full potential, within a supportive family unit.
- Our Specialist Education Support Service offers independent, tailored, impartial information, advice and guidance in relation to the education system and the SEND Code of Practice. We deliver this service directly to a young person with vision impairment, or to parents and/or carers of a child who has vision impairment and their families.
- Habilitation is the process of helping children and young people with vision impairment to achieve as much independence as possible in their daily lives. We do this by providing personalised training and support in mobility, orientation and independence skills, often in partnership with the local authority.
- Our Access Technology Grant Service provides 90% toward the total cost of funding for equipment and software for children and young people with a vision impairment where no statutory funding is available.
- Our Access Technology Service offers independent expert advice and support on all accessible and standard technology and software for children and young people with a vision impairment.
- Our Recreational Activities enable children and young people with a vision impairment and their families to meet, share experiences and support each other whilst having fun in a relaxed environment with access to specialist advice from our Children’s Services team.
In Peterborough we also; offer “Habilitation” Orientation and Mobility support to Children and Young People with Visual Impairment in school and out of school, on contract to the Council’s Sensory team