Chinese Community in Peterborough (CCIP) was set up as an informal group in 2013, initially meeting in the Hampton Community Centre, and with the primary motivation of ensuring that children from Chinese families could meet one another. The group has no faith or political affiliation. Most of the members come from Greater Peterborough, but some come from as far afield as Stamford and Spalding.
CCIP was set up because its founders would have wished to find the support of such an organisation when they moved to Peterborough, but it did not exist; it fulfils a much-needed role.
At present, CCIP’s activities are directed towards achieving the following:
- Providing a means of maintaining contact with Chinese culture
- Supporting people through friendship, making connections, informal help
- Providing signposting for information about e.g. local services and facilities
- Sign posting on skills development opportunities, wellbeing service, local events
- Supporting Chinese people and their families to integrate into British culture and way of living
- Supporting active citizenship via volunteering