Glinton lies just off the A15, 6 miles north of Peterborough. Dating from about 7000 years ago, scatters of worked flint from the Mesolithic age show that people have long found this area a good place to live in. There is evidence of Iron Age field systems, and excavations for the roundabout on the bypass just south of the village revealed the remains of a Romano-British farm complex. At the time of the Domesday Book Glinton’s land was mostly owned by Peterborough Abbey and its knights. By 1291, Glinton was one of the Abbey’s richest manors and traces of the medieval ridge and furrow field systems can still be seen immediately to the north of the village.
It is a pleasant community with some attractive cottages and imposing houses built from Barnack ragstone in the older conservation part of the village. A striking feature of this part of the village is the church of St Benedict with its graceful spire, a landmark for many miles around. Begun in the 12th century, it was a chapel of ease with a curate, subject to the rector of Peakirk. Glinton only became a separate parish in 1865.
Who to contact
- Contact Position
- Parish Clerk