What is the scheme?
The Peterborough Community Assistance Scheme (PCAS) can help people going through unexpected financial difficulties who require urgent assistance.
The scheme aims to help you meet your basic needs as quickly as possible and will provide you with the support and advice to help you avoid similar problems in the future.
What help is available?
We can help you in the following ways:
- By providing emergency food
- By providing emergency furniture or other basic needs such as clothing, toys or household items
- One off emergency heating or lighting payment
- Emergency white goods
- Debt advice and helping you to manage your money better
Who can the scheme help?
The Peterborough Community Assistance scheme criteria;
- You must be over 16 years of age and on means tested benefits
- You must be facing hardship or dealing with an emergency situation
- You must live or be registered for council tax in the Peterborough council area
If you are provided with help and support through PCAS, please be aware that we will share your information with other partner agencies in order to signpost you to the appropriate organisations for further long term support.
Where do I go for help?
For advice around debt or money management, emergency energy payments or electrical appliances, please contact the Citizens Advice Bureau on: 0844 4994120 / (01733) 293203 or in person at:16-17 St Marks Street, Peterborough, PE1 2TU.
Emergency food and furniture are provided through a voucher system issued by a number of different agencies in the city. Please contact one of the agencies listed below, where an advisor will help you with your individual needs.
Who can help with referrals for emergency food and furniture?
Please contact the relevant landlord below;
- Cross Keys Homes (01733) 385000
- Accent Nene Housing (01733) 295400
- Axiom Housing (01733) 347135
- (If you are a tenant of one of the above landlords)
- Citizens Advice Bureau 0844 4994120 / (01733) 293203
- Peterborough City Council (01733) 747474
- British Red Cross (01733) 557472
- Aspire Drug Treatment Service 0800 1114354
- Drinksense (01733) 555532
- Women's Aid (01733) 894455
For help with debt or housing advice or to discuss emergency energy payments or electrical appliances please contact:
Citizens Advice Bureau 0844 4994120 / (01733) 293203
Other useful contacts
- Peterborough and Fenland Mind - (01733) 530650
Advice and support for people with mental health issues.
- Dial Peterborough - (01733) 265551
Advice and support for people with physical disabilities.
- Age UK – (01733) 564185
Advice and support for people aged over 55.
- Care and Repair - (01733) 863895
An agency which assists disabled, aged and vulnerable people to access funding for work in their home.
- Department for Work and Pensions - 0845 6088603
For information on job seekers allowance and other benefits.
Further information is available in our leaflet below;
Can we help?
(100KB, 2 pages)
Who to contact
- Contact Name
- The Citizens Advice Bureau
Where to go
Citizens Advice Bureau, 16-17
St. Marks Street
- PE1 2TU