Skip to main content

Preparing for Adulthood - Friends, Relationships & Community (Local Offer)

Teenagers sitting on the floor

Preparing for adulthood

To support young adults to have opportunities to spend time with their peers outside of school and college, the Local Offer includes a list of community groups available in Peterborough.

If you see a Local Offer flag on the record it means we know that they are accessible to young adults with SEND. These groups are updated as often as possible.

It is important to support, develop and maintain friendships and relationships so that young adults can access their community and feel safe and confident.

Parents have asked for a comprehensive guide to transitions and we have worked with Family Voice to produce the Transition to Adulthood - A Parents Guide.

Accessing adult social care

Young woman in a wheelchair

Transition support

Young people with a disability aged 14 to 25 and their families can be referred to
Childrens' or Adults Social Care for an assessment of their needs as part of planning their transitions pathway, if they are not already known to the service through social care support as a child.

Every young person with a disability and their parents and carers will be offered information and advice about the range of universal support services available in the local area. This will also include guidance on accessing community and voluntary sector support services.

You can find out more on the main Preparing for Adulthood page.

Personal Budgets

A Personal Budget is money identified to pay for support specified in an Education,
Health and Care plan (EHC plan) for a child or young person with special educational needs. It can include funds from the council for education and social care and from the Clinical Commissioning Group (CCG) for health.

There are four ways you can use a personal budget:

  1. The council, school or college will look after the Personal Budget for you. This is called an Arrangement or a Notional Budget
  2. You can receive money directly to manage all or part of the Personal Budget yourself. This is called a Direct Payment. Direct Payments will be monitored regularly to ensure they are used to meet the identified needs and outcomes
  3. You can opt to have someone else manage the Personal Budget for you. This is called a Third Party Arrangement
  4. You can have a mixture of some or all of these arrangements

A Personal Budget is not additional funding, it is about using existing funding in a way that suits your needs better.

Who can ask for a personal budget?

Parents of a child with an EHC plan, or a young person (16-25) with an EHC plan, can request a Personal Budget either during the drafting of an EHC plan or once the plan has been issued and is under review.

Personal Budgets may also be prepared if there is no EHC plan.  This could be the case when there are no educational needs, but there is a health and/or social care support plan.

What can a personal budget be used for?

Personal Budgets can be used only to fund the support set out in an EHC plan. This must be agreed by the council for education and social care support, and by the CCG for health provision.

The Personal Budget policy for Peterborough is available to download. The policy provides information about the services across education, health and social care that form part of a Personal Budget, how the funding arrangements will work and support available for people in relation to their Direct Payments.

Clubs and activities

What is a community group?

Community groups include sports, hobbies, youth clubs and can be a chance to make new friends and talk about things that interest you. Through community groups you can get involved in fun and interesting activities outside of school or college.

How do I find a community group?

If you search here on the Local Offer website you will find a wide range of fun and interesting activities that you can access. It will tell you what is available and how to get involved. You can also go to the Youth Inspired Facebook page where there is lots of information, videos and photos of activities available in and around Peterborough.

How do I know if it accessible for me?

Many activities will have the SEND accessible flag on their front page.

If you see a local offer flag on this it means we know that they are accessible to young adults with SEND. Even if you don't see this flag the activity may well be accessible to all so don’t be afraid to drop then an email or give them a call. They will be happy to hear from you!

How do I pay for it?

Some youth clubs and community groups are free. However, if you do need to pay, you may be able to get a personal budget if you are assessed as needing one as part of your EHC Plan.

Personal budgets are designed to help people take control of their own social care budgets and choose services that suit them best. The amount will be calculated on an individual basis and is available to use for various support including short breaks and joining a local club or activity.  You can find out more about Personal Budgets and Direct Payments on the Money and Benefits page.


Travelling on public transport

You can find out lots of information about travelling on public transport on the Getting Out and About page on the Local Offer and on the Easy Read Travelling pages.

Local colleges run courses for young people on developing independence and these can include travel training. 


You might want to consider a Blue Badge to make parking easier. You can find out more on the council website and on the Easy Read Blue Badges page.

Mobility vehicles - Your young person may be eligible for a mobility vehicle

Travel Training

The Access Champions at City College Peterborough support young adults to gain more confidence by encouraging peer to peer support. Through their travel training they support young adults to gain confidence in using public transport independently.

Contact the Access Champions via email to find out how you can get travel training:

Staying safe

Young woman having her handbag stolen


The government defines safeguarding as:

“The process of protecting children from abuse or neglect, preventing impairment of their health and development, and ensuring they are growing up in circumstance consistent with the provision of safe and effective care that enables children to have optimum life chances and enter adulthood successfully.”

The 0 to 25 Disability Service works closely with Children's Safeguarding to ensure that young people under the age of 18 remain safe, and for those over 18 the service works within the safeguarding processes under adult legislation. 

Staying safe and supported in the community

For many of us, it can be a real problem if we do not feel safe and comfortable when we are trying to do something.  This is the same when we are trying to get out into the community, we need to feel safe and supported, and this could include simple things like:

  • Plan where you would like go and how you are going to get there
  • Take a mobile phone if you have one, and the phone number of someone you trust
  • Take some money in case you need to make a phone call from a public phone
  • Take only the money you expect to need, keep some in your wallet or purse and some in your pocket
  • If you have one, take a personal attack alarm
  • Are your personal belongings, like your phone, wallet or purse kept in a safe place on you, like your bag or pocket?
  • If possible, have you told someone you trust where you are going and when you expect to be back?
  • If you can, go out with a friend or someone you know

Safe Place Scheme

A safe place is a shop or building in Peterborough that people with learning disabilities can go to, if they feel they are in an unsafe situation. 

You can apply for membership by completing and returning the application form, which provides you with a personal membership card and includes your choice of emergency contact.


The Peterborough United training ground, the Mick George Training Academy on Oundle Road, has joined the Peterborough City Council ‘Safe Place Scheme’.

This scheme is to support vulnerable people and people with learning disabilities when out and about in the community. There are currently around 70 businesses in Peterborough registered to the scheme.

There are now two stickers situated on the main reception doors so the building is clearly visible to those who need us.

As a participating business we have agreed:

  • To display a ‘safe place’ sticker
  • Assist the person or persons if they present a ‘I need help card’
  • Give the person or persons a safe space within the building while we await a family member, carer, friend or external support to take them home. A leaflet with more information can be found in reception.

The Peterborough City Council ‘Safe Place Scheme’.

The scheme aims to attract Peterborough businesses to agree to place a Safe Place sticker in their window. This identifies it as a place where an adult with a learning disability can, in the case of an emergency, receive help to make a call to the police, other emergency service or to a parent, carer or support worker in their moment of crisis.

The Safe Place Scheme aims to stop the bullying and abuse of adults with learning disabilities across Peterborough.

This scheme is run jointly with the Safer Peterborough Partnership to ensure people with a learning disability remain safe in Peterborough. People with a learning disability have the right to feel safe when out and about in their community. It is a collective responsibility of the community to support vulnerable people.  For people with a learning disability this can be achieved by identifying business premises as a ‘Safe Place’.

In Peterborough over 60 businesses from Bretton Centre, Rivergate and City Centre have signed up to provide a Safe Place to vulnerable people in the city of Peterborough.

Staying safe online

Social Media

Computers, mobile phones and tablets are a great way to keep in touch with your friends, finding and making new friends and to share things at the touch of a button. You can also use them to find information and to help with homework.  But they can also make it easier for bullies and other people who might want to hurt you to get close to you.  So it is really important that you know how to stay safe on your computer, phone and websites.

The ChildLine and NSPCC websites both have lots of really useful information to help protect yourself from cyberbullying, sexting, inappropriate content and protect your online reputation.  There is also an easy read guide to Staying Safe on Social Media and Online from the Foundation for People with Learning Disabilities.


National Citizen Service

The National Citizen Service (NCS) is a way for 15 to 17-year-olds living in England and Northern Ireland to make extraordinary friendships, learn the skills they don’t teach you in class and create unforgettable memories.

It all starts with a 'Yes'...

Grow your confidence

Make your UCAS application stand out

Make new friends

Develop the skills that employers want

Get a killer CV

Access to exclusive events

You can register your interest or make a payment on this link or for more information email:

Duke of Edinburgh Award

The Duke of Edinburgh (D of E) Award gives all young people aged 14-24 the chance to develop skills for life and work, fulfil their potential and have a brighter future.

Peterborough City Council operate the DofE through Schools, Academies and Centres across the City. They provide a balanced programme of activities that builds confidence and develops self-esteem and is made up of 3 levels, Bronze, Silver and Gold.

If you are a young person at a school or Academy, you should speak to your DofE Leader (please ask the school if you are unsure who this is) or, if you are not at school or would rather participate outside of your school, there is The Peterborough Open Award Centre which can provide the opportunity to complete your D of E.

For more information contact Lisa Alexander, D of E Award Coordinator at Peterborough City Council via telephone 01733 863868 or email

You can also find further information in the Duke of Edinburgh’s Award directory record on our website 

Student Voice at School or College

Every school or college will have different ways for their students to have their voices heard, develop leadership skills and make changes to improve the experience of students.

This could be through a school council, house council, prefects, mentors etc. Speak to your school or college to find out how to get involved in student voice opportunities.

Having your voice heard

Peterborough Youth Council

Peterborough Youth Council meet once every three weeks and aim to represent the views and interests of young people, aged 11-19, who live work or study in Peterborough. This involves tackling issues relevant to and important to young people and assisting the local authority to ensure young people are given the opportunity to have a say on council decisions that may affect them.

Keep up with Peterborough Youth Council activities via Instagram.

If you would like to know the meeting dates or more information, contact Marya Ali on 07920160044 or email

Preparing from Adulthood Consultation

Young adults in Peterborough have been involved in consulting with Peterborough City Council about services that support their transition to adulthood. If you are a young person with SEND aged 13-25 and want to have your say about this topic, contact your school or college SENCO or Marya Ali.

National SEND Youth Voice - Council for Disabled Children

The Council for Disabled Children have been jointly commissioned with Kids to deliver a national participation programme with disabled children and young people, and children and young people with SEN.

This includes a young people's advisory group, FLARE, which is formed of twelve 13-25 year-olds with SEND from around the country to advise, challenge and support the government about how the SEND reforms would affect disabled children and young people directly. 

TEC - Technology

Use your phone

Use of your phone or computer to find out where your local community groups are

  • Check the times
  • Check the location
  • Check the cost
  • Check how to get there
  • Check to see if it is SEND accessible-

Use the Local Offer

Use the Local Offer to check if the activity is SEND friendly

Access Champions

The Access Champions

The Access Champions are a group of young adults who are passionate about improving access for the disabled community in and around Peterborough.

Twitter: @AccessChamps
Facebook: Access Champions

Community learning opportunities at City College and Day Opportunities for people over 18

Day Opportunities

Day Opportunities is Peterborough’s largest local day support specialist provider and experienced social care provider, supporting adults with learning disabilities, autism and complex needs to live the fullest life possible.  

You can find out more on the City College Peterborough Day Opportunities page.

Right to a relationship

Devolping and maintaing relationships

People with learning disabilities want to love and be loved. They are often denied their right to sexual relationships.

There is information here and videos on developing and maintaining relationships.

Find out more here.

Disability Horizons Online Magazine

Disability Horizons magazine is an online disability lifestyle publication that aims to give disabled people a voice.

All articles are sourced directly from our community of readers, making Disability Horizons a lifestyle publication about disabled people, for disabled people. Articles span topics from technology, relationships, sports, employment and travel.

To help our community connect with each other, share, learn, support and be supported further, we’ve also created the DHorizons Tribe Facebook group. 

You can also find lots of interesting videos on their Video website page.

Safe Soulmates

Safe Soulmates is an organisation working to end loneliness for adults with additional needs by faciliating a fun social life where friendships and relationships can develop in a safe way.

If someone you know or care for is feeling lonely, isolated and in need of finding like-minded friends in a fun, social environment, then Safe Soulmates is the right place.

They are also the only organisation in Cambridgeshire which supports a relationship to develop if there is a mutual romantic connection. Most couples who have met through them have done so because they have attended their social groups (in real life and on Zoom). 

If a member doesn’t want to join their socials and just wants to find a relationship, that’s fine too. It can take time and they may not meet the person of their dreams, but they might and many people have.  They always suggest matches where they think people might get on really well.

You can look at a video they have produced telling you more about what they do.  View their video What do you think of Safe Soulmates?

If you would like more information please email, text, call us or complete the contact form and we will contact you to tell you more (All our contact details are here).

We will arrange to talk to you on the phone,email, text or via Zoom when you and the potential member are ready.


Consultation and co-production with young people

Preparing for Adulthood - Young persons consultation spring 2021

In response to our consultation with young people and a continuation of that dialogue with them, we have produced an online learning resource.

The Preparing for Adulthood - Young Persons Consultation Spring 2021 learning resource may also be useful to parents and staff who need some training in SEND and PfA. The target age group is 13-25. (Please note the voiceovers and videos don't work on the presentation - if you want a copy of the original powerpoint presentation please email Marya Ali ( or Elizabeth Sullivan Ash (

Preparing for Adulthood (Local Offer)

The learning resource has also been replicated in several pages on our Local Offer for Young People website

Sports clubs and other activities - Getting out and about

You can find lots of information about various activities and clubs in Peterborough by visiting our  Getting Out and About page  

NEW Club Gaming night in Peterborough. The gaming night is for aged 14 and over and is suitable for those who can manage their own behaviour.  Whilst everyone is welcome, the majority of members are young males with autism. 

View more details in the directory of providers GAMING NIGHT IN PETERBOROUGH