Skip to main content

Compliments, comments and complaints (Adults)

Two ladies looking at paperwork

Adult Social Care compliments, comments and complaints

Peterborough City Council is committed to providing high standards of service. You can help us to do this by telling us when we do something right or when things go wrong.

Most complaints can be resolved locally, by talking to your care worker, or their manager.

If you have tried this, or don’t feel it is an option in your circumstances and wish to take your complaint further, you can make a complaint through our official complaints procedure.

Who can make a complaint?

Complaint form

Who can complain?

You can make a formal complaint to us as long as you:

  • Receive or have received services that are provided by or commissioned by Peterborough City Council
  • Are someone who is affected, or likely to be affected, by an action or decision of Peterborough City Council

Complaining on behalf of someone else

You can complain on behalf of someone else if they have grounds to complain and they:

  • Have died, or
  • Can’t make the complaint themselves because they aren’t physically or mentally capable, or
  • Have asked you to act on their behalf. In this case, we would only share information if we receive consent from the individual concerned

How do I make a complaint?

Professional talking to complainant

What to do

You should start by talking to the member of staff with who you are in direct contact. If that is not possible, or if you are still not happy, you should ask to speak to that person’s manager or the customer service team. Most problems can be sorted out quickly through discussion.

If you are still not satisfied, you can contact the council's Complaints Team.  You can write to them, email them, or contact them by telephone.  Their contact details are shown below.

The Central Complaints Office

  • Sand Martin House
    Bittern Way
    Fletton Quays
    PE2 8TY

You can also complete the council's online complaints form.

You should normally make a complaint within 12 months of the date of the event that you are complaining about, or as soon as you first knew about the problem.

Independent Advocacy

Advocacy logo

Providing advocacy

If you feel that you need independent support with making your complaint you can contact Voiceability who provide advocacy in Peterborough.

What happens next?

Professional on the phone

The next steps

Once your complaint has been received we will acknowledge it within three working days. The acknowledgement letter will state when we hope to be able to respond to your complaint. If the investigation is likely to take longer than originally agreed we will contact you again and agree an alternative timescale with you.

If you are making the complaint on behalf of someone else, we may need to ask for their permission for the complaint to progress.

It may be necessary to share your details with other organisations who may need to be involved in your complaint, however we will discuss this with you.

If you are still unhappy after receiving your complaints response letter, your complaint can be considered again by the Assistant Director or Service Director of Adult Social Care at Peterborough City Council.

What happens if I am not satisfied with the outcome of my complaint?

Local Government Ombudsman logo


If you are not satisfied with our response to your complaint you have the right to contact the Local Government and Social Care Ombudsman (LGSCO) to discuss your concerns.

What can I do if I have paid for my own care?

Complaints procedures

In the first instance you need to complain to the organisation providing your care.  All care providers are required to have a complaints procedure. 

If you are dissatisfied with their response you can contact the Local Government and Social Care (LGSCO) Ombudsman. They will consider all complaints regardless of how the care has been funded. Their job is to investigate complaints in a fair and independent way. In most cases they will only consider a complaint once the care provider has been given a reasonable opportunity to deal with the situation. It is a free service.

What is not covered by the Complaints Procedure?

When can't you use the complaints procedure?

You can’t use the complaints procedure if:

  • You made a complaint orally and it was sorted out by the end of the next working day
  • You’re employed by the organisation and you want to complain about an employment issue
  • Your complaint has already been considered under the complaints procedure
  • Your complaint has been, or is being, investigated by the Local Government Ombudsman
  • If legal action is underway