Skip to main content

0-25 Disability Social Care (Local Offer)

Young people

0-25 Disability Social Care

Children and young people with disabilities have the same rights as others.  We want to make sure that they and their families have the social care information, guidance and support, where needed, to help them meet their potential. Every child, young person and family is different so we will always work with you to make sure what we do is right for you and your family.

We want to be sure that they grow up with the right support that will give them the same opportunities as other children, including accessing universal services and being able to lead fulfilling lives.

Parents have asked for a comprehensive guide to transitions and we have worked with Family Voice to produce the Transition to Adulthood - A Parents Guide.

Requesting a social care assessment

You can request a Children's Social Care assessment by calling 0345 045 5203.  This is the first point of contact for all of Childrens Social Care.  They will ask you some questions to help decide who is best placed to respond to your request.

If you are over 17 and a half and are not already supported by the 0-25 Disability Social Care 0-25, you can request an Adult Social Care assessment.

Assessment for disabled children and young people aged 0-18

If your child or young person has a disability they are entitled to an assessment. When we assess the needs of disabled children and young people we take into account the needs of their parents and carers and other children in their immediate family.

A member of staff from one our Disability Social Care teams will get in touch with you to introduce themselves and the team, talk to you about the assessment process and make arrangements to meet you and your family.

We will ask your permission to talk to other people who know your child/young person and your family’s circumstances. This would include parents (including those who may not live with the child or young person), other adults involved in looking after your child or young person, brothers and sisters, school or college, health professionals and other important people in your child/young person’s life. We will talk to you about who that might be for your child or young person and family. For young people over 16 years they will need to give their permission if they have capacity to do so.

We aim to complete our assessments within a maximum of 45 working days of starting them. We will let you know when the assessment is starting, keep you informed throughout the process and share the completed assessment with you so you have the opportunity to share your views and for these to be recorded within the assessment before it is signed off.

To complete the assessment we will:

  • Talk to you on the phone or virtually to gather information
  • Visit you, your child or young person and other members of the family at home
  • Spend time with your child or young person to get to know them and their views.
  • Visit your child or young person in other places they spend time, such as school or college
  • Talk to others involved and/or ask them to share information about their involvement and how they support your child or young person
  • Look at important documents like your child or young person’s Education, Health and Care Plan, medical reports or other documents, depending on what is relevant to your child or young person
  • We will always involve your child or young person in the assessment process in a way that suits them and will find out from them and others how best to do this

Some of the things that we consider during the assessment are:

  • child or young person’s abilities and needs
  • child or young person’s views, interests and what’s important to them
  • The views of parents and carers
  • Strengths and needs of parents/carers
  • Impact of caring for the child or young person on the family
  • Support available to the child or young person
  • Support available to the family
  • Child/young person’s social networks
  • Home environment, community support, professional network around the child/young person
  • Any other things that are relevant to the child or young person

The information we gather is used to write the assessment report.

We consider the needs identified in the assessment against the support already available to the child/young person and their family, before deciding whether there are any unmet Social Care needs which require additional support or services to meet those needs.

Threshold criteria for the 0-18 service

The 0-18 service will provide an assessment where the child has:- 

  • A presenting need which relates directly to the child’s disability.
  • A physical, learning and or neuro-developmental disability or condition diagnosed by a doctor or consultant that is substantial, long lasting and permanent.
  • Complex needs which in order to achieve outcomes appropriate to their potential, as a result of their disability, the child requires total or substantial support, not appropriate to their age, from another person which is not available within their family or wider network
  • Social Care and safeguarding needs that cannot be met without specialist social care assessment.

The disability may include significant and permanent:-

  • Physical Disability
  • Sensory Impairment
  • Moderate to Severe Learning Disability
  • Global Development Delay
  • Complex Health Conditions resulting in significant physical and or learning disability
  • Neuro-Development conditions which significantly impact on their ability to undertake activities appropriate to daily living.

The role of the Transitions Team (young people aged 14-25)

The Transitions Team will provide an assessment where the young person:

  • Has presenting needs which are likely to have a substantial and long term adverse effect on their ability to carry normal day to day activities. As a result of the young person’s needs, the young person is unable to achieve two or more of the outcomes specified within the Care Act Eligibility Criteria (or is likely to if under the age of 18).
  • Has complex needs which in order to achieve outcomes appropriate to their potential, as a result of their disability or impairment the young person requires total or substantial support, not appropriate to their age, from another person which is not available within their family or wider network.
  • Will be in education or training and most likely have a current Education and Health and Care plan.
  • Will require a transitions plan.
  • Has social care support and safeguarding needs that cannot be met from other services without a specialist assessment.

Services can be provided directly by the council or purchased through Direct Payments.

However, these direct payments can only be used to provide short breaks for parents or social opportunities for the young person. The family are responsible for identifying their own person to undertake this work. 

An agreement has to be signed and the monitoring arrangements will ensure that these directly arranged services still meet the identified outcomes from the Education Health and Care plan.

Adult Social Care Assessment and Care and Support Planning

The Care Act (2014) recognises that for some young people a timely referral to adult social care for an assessment of needs may be required. The law says that this must happen if it would be of “significant benefit’ to the young person. 

Generally, in order to determine eligibility for a service from adult social care, information would be gathered about the young person from the age of 14.  Where appropriate, if the child is looked after, has complex needs, lives out of area or has a risk of homelessness, transition assessment will be completd at 16 to ensure care and support are available at 18.  (Adult Social Care assessments won't normally be completed until the young person is almost 18 years old).

The Care Act (2014) says that a young person should continue to receive childrens services even after they are 18, until adult social care assessments are completed and care and support plans, if identified, are in place.

The assessment will be undertaken by the social work team if the young person has learning, sensory impairment and/or physical disabilities, including Special Educational Needs (SEN) Or Education Health and Care Plan.

If young people have a dual diagnosis including mental health needs, the social work team will work closely with health to determine which pathway the young person will follow.

To find out more visit the Adult Social Care Assessment and Care and Support Planning page or call Adult Early Help on 01733 747474.

Examples of support, provision and signposting following an assessment

Every young person with a disability and their parents and carers will be offered information and advice about the range of universal support services available in the local area. This will also include guidance on accessing community and voluntary sector support services. 

You can find out more about this on the Support, advice and information for parent carers and carers page.

If the outcome of the assessment is that a child or young person is eligible for support these are some examples of support, provision and signposting that may be provided.

  • Support for children or young person to do things in their community
  • Support for the child or young person to develop independence and life skills appropriate to them
  • Support to meet personal care needs appropriate to them
  • The opportunity for children and families to have a short break
  • Support to families and carers
  • Support to think about and prepare for the future

Our aim is always to encourage the use of inclusive activities and services that are available to all. We will provide information and advice about these and support children and young people to use them as independently as possible.

For children and young people with very complex needs, specialist services may be required. These will be provided by health, education and social care working together.

If you are not eligible for our services, we will give you information about other sources of support.